You may have heard of carnosine. It’s a type of dipeptide (a combination of two amino acids). Whilst it is synthesised within the body, there are many health benefits of taking carnosine which can help to improve your health.
What Is Carnosine?
Carnosine is a combination of two amino acids: beta-alanine and histidine. It is mostly found in the brain and muscles of most animals. It’s considered a non-essential amino acid since it can be synthesised by the body, but that doesn’t mean consuming or supplementing a source of carnosine isn’t useful. Carnosine is useful for normal body function and development of the muscles, liver, kidneys, brain and heart.
Since vegans and vegetarians tend to consume less or no animal products, then it can be useful for them to supplement since they tend to have lower levels of carnosine in the body as they only create carnosine within the body and don’t receive carnosine from dietary sources like omnivores.
Health Benefits Of Carnosine
Carnosine has been shown to:
- Act as an antioxidant in the brain by trapping free radicals and by extent, lowering inflammation.
- Preserve memory in those affected by Alzheimer’s disease
- In cell cultures, to decrease the growth of many types of cancer cells (including liver cells, ovarian cells and colon cells)
- Improve performance in high-intensity exercise in trained and untrained individuals
- Enhance mood and anxiety
- Reduce high blood sugar
- Improve insulin sensitivity
- Speed up recovery from stress-related fatigue
- Protect against cataracts
- Improve cognition in schizophrenic patients
From just these benefits, I’d say carnosine can definitely help to improve health and quality of life. For this reason, consuming adequate sources of carnosine are likely quite beneficial for your health.
Foods Rich In Carnosine
Some of the richest foods in carnosine are:
You get the idea. If it’s a source of meat, it’s got carnosine. The leaner bits of meat will have more carnosine since they contain more protein. If you’re an omnivore, try eating more meat to increase your carnosine levels within the body. If you’re vegetarian or vegan, a carnosine supplement may help to reap the health benefits of carnosine.
Did you know about the health benefits of carnosine? If you found this article useful please share it with others!