This week has been tough, but I’ve been pleased with my progress.

Monday training

I started off with my 100 press ups and 200 crunches in sets of 10 and 20, smashing my personal best of 10:39 down to 10:03 – absolutely gutted I didn’t break 10 minutes, and then straight onto my gonzo workout which involves doing 10 tuck jumps, 10 squat thrusts and 10 burpees, 10 times altogether. Yes, that’s right.

100 burpees.

Later, I went down for a track session. After the warm up and drills (which I wasn’t performing as efficiently as I thought I was), we went into the session: 2 sets of 5 x 200m, 1 minute between reps and 5 minutes between sets and there was a horrible wind along the back straight which had been nipping at my fingers the whole time throughout the warm up.

My first thought was ‘I don’t know how I’m going to survive this.’. When I’m training with the coach, I feel pressure to train at my best – to give everything 100%.

5 weeks ago,  when I first began training with him on the 12th February 2018, the session he gave me was 11 x 200m with 2½ minutes recovery and I was hitting between 31 and 33 seconds for each of those, even one at 34 seconds. The recovery was plenty for me, but I could not generate the force to run faster.

Regardless, I had to do it. It had to be done. It was all part of my journey to improve.

Get set… go!

The first couple of 200’s were alright. I was managing to stay in the 31 – 32 second range. The next 200’s in the set followed and despite feeling the lactic acid slowly accumulating in my legs, I managed to keep all my 200’s under 33 seconds.

The 5 minute recovery came at the right time and we went into the second set. I ran each 200 slightly slower than in the first set, one of them being over 33 seconds, but in the end, I was very pleased with having at least matched the pace I ran doing 200’s 5 weeks ago with far less recovery (personally, I think overall my pace was quicker).

Tuesday Training

I was glad there wasn’t too much hard running on Tuesday because after Monday’s training my legs were feeling sore everywhere.

A long warm up with strides, some plyometrics, weights and 100m sprints.

Wednesday – Friday Training

Wednesday was mostly circuits, which again I was glad for because my legs were still sore followed by a hot bath.

However, Thursday’s session looked a lot more menacing. A 6k warm up, followed by a 600, 500, 400, 400, 300, 300 and then weights after. I was considering not doing this because my legs were hurting from the last 3 days of training, but somehow I got it done, taking in total 2 hours and 40 minutes.

Friday, I cut my 100 press ups and 200 crunches time down to 9:43 which surprised me given I had done weights the previous day and did my gonzo workout in 11:03 which I think was another personal best. A 45 minute fartlek in the morning (no longer so much in the dark despite starting it at 5:40 am) and then some strength and conditioning in the evening. My legs didn’t feel so bad anymore surprisingly.

Saturday Training

I was looking forward to training on Saturday because I had the feeling we would be doing tyre flipping which was something I still had yet to do.

My thoughts were ‘why are we flipping tyres?’, but I knew that there was a reason for all the training the coach was giving us and most of the people here were successful runners and they were flipping tyres with him, so why not give it a shot?

Getting ready to flip tyres!

It was tough and draining and flippin’ difficult.

And then we had hill sprints after; 3 long (300m) and 1 medium (250m). I wasn’t the quickest off at the start of these sprints, but thanks to my endurance I could at least maintain my speed and catch people towards the end.

Sprinting uphill

Finishing the last hill sprint








It was an unusual day of training and honestly, I loved the variety.

At the end of the session, I received my Inspired By Sports training shirts for the warm weather training trip we would be departing for this coming Tuesday (more on that later in my blog) and quickly dashed off after for a family-cousin lunchtime meal at Zizzi’s to satisfy my hunger. Yum!

After all that, my legs were not necessarily aching – more my back, but I could feel my legs were tight. Thankfully, I had been prescribed a rest day for Sunday so that I could recover.

How about you – how was your week training? Let me know down in the comments below.